Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene

S. Castellví-Bel, A. Sánchez, C. Badenas, J. Mallolas, A. Barceló, D. Jiménez, M. Villa, Xavier P. Estivill, M. Milà

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The fragile X syndrome is due to an expansion of the CGG trinucleotide repeat in the FMR1 gene and hypermethylation of its 5' upstream CpG island in about 95% of the cases. The remaining 5% of cases correspond to other molecular alterations in FMR1 gene such as partial or complete deletions, or point mutations within the coding sequence. We selected 31 patients with clinical manifestations of fragile X syndrome, scoring 16 or more in Hagerman's checklist, but without the CGG expansion. We performed single- strand conformation polymorphism analysis using a nonradioactive technique (silver staining) and we detected six anomalous migrations that, by sequence analysis, corresponded to six nucleotide changes. We screened two different populations (control and fragile X) for these changes, and concluded that they correspond to five new polymorphisms within the FMR1 gene and to one possible synonymous mutation.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)262-265
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Journal of Medical Genetics
Volume84
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 28 May 1999
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Fragile X Syndrome
Trinucleotide Repeat Expansion
Genes
Silver Staining
CpG Islands
Population Control
Sequence Deletion
Checklist
Point Mutation
Sequence Analysis
Nucleotides
Silent Mutation

Keywords

  • FMR1 gene
  • Fragile X syndrome
  • Mental retardation
  • SSCP analysis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Genetics(clinical)

Cite this

Castellví-Bel, S., Sánchez, A., Badenas, C., Mallolas, J., Barceló, A., Jiménez, D., ... Milà, M. (1999). Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene. American Journal of Medical Genetics, 84(3), 262-265. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19990528)84:3<262::AID-AJMG18>3.0.CO;2-V

Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene. / Castellví-Bel, S.; Sánchez, A.; Badenas, C.; Mallolas, J.; Barceló, A.; Jiménez, D.; Villa, M.; Estivill, Xavier P.; Milà, M.

In: American Journal of Medical Genetics, Vol. 84, No. 3, 28.05.1999, p. 262-265.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Castellví-Bel, S, Sánchez, A, Badenas, C, Mallolas, J, Barceló, A, Jiménez, D, Villa, M, Estivill, XP & Milà, M 1999, 'Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene', American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 262-265. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19990528)84:3<262::AID-AJMG18>3.0.CO;2-V
Castellví-Bel, S. ; Sánchez, A. ; Badenas, C. ; Mallolas, J. ; Barceló, A. ; Jiménez, D. ; Villa, M. ; Estivill, Xavier P. ; Milà, M. / Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene. In: American Journal of Medical Genetics. 1999 ; Vol. 84, No. 3. pp. 262-265.
@article{2dd9ab6e06694a57ad37531b9edd9183,
title = "Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene",
abstract = "The fragile X syndrome is due to an expansion of the CGG trinucleotide repeat in the FMR1 gene and hypermethylation of its 5' upstream CpG island in about 95{\%} of the cases. The remaining 5{\%} of cases correspond to other molecular alterations in FMR1 gene such as partial or complete deletions, or point mutations within the coding sequence. We selected 31 patients with clinical manifestations of fragile X syndrome, scoring 16 or more in Hagerman's checklist, but without the CGG expansion. We performed single- strand conformation polymorphism analysis using a nonradioactive technique (silver staining) and we detected six anomalous migrations that, by sequence analysis, corresponded to six nucleotide changes. We screened two different populations (control and fragile X) for these changes, and concluded that they correspond to five new polymorphisms within the FMR1 gene and to one possible synonymous mutation.",
keywords = "FMR1 gene, Fragile X syndrome, Mental retardation, SSCP analysis",
author = "S. Castellv{\'i}-Bel and A. S{\'a}nchez and C. Badenas and J. Mallolas and A. Barcel{\'o} and D. Jim{\'e}nez and M. Villa and Estivill, {Xavier P.} and M. Mil{\`a}",
year = "1999",
month = "5",
day = "28",
doi = "10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19990528)84:3<262::AID-AJMG18>3.0.CO;2-V",
language = "English",
volume = "84",
pages = "262--265",
journal = "American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A",
issn = "0148-7299",
publisher = "Wiley-Liss Inc.",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis in the FMR1 gene

AU - Castellví-Bel, S.

AU - Sánchez, A.

AU - Badenas, C.

AU - Mallolas, J.

AU - Barceló, A.

AU - Jiménez, D.

AU - Villa, M.

AU - Estivill, Xavier P.

AU - Milà, M.

PY - 1999/5/28

Y1 - 1999/5/28

N2 - The fragile X syndrome is due to an expansion of the CGG trinucleotide repeat in the FMR1 gene and hypermethylation of its 5' upstream CpG island in about 95% of the cases. The remaining 5% of cases correspond to other molecular alterations in FMR1 gene such as partial or complete deletions, or point mutations within the coding sequence. We selected 31 patients with clinical manifestations of fragile X syndrome, scoring 16 or more in Hagerman's checklist, but without the CGG expansion. We performed single- strand conformation polymorphism analysis using a nonradioactive technique (silver staining) and we detected six anomalous migrations that, by sequence analysis, corresponded to six nucleotide changes. We screened two different populations (control and fragile X) for these changes, and concluded that they correspond to five new polymorphisms within the FMR1 gene and to one possible synonymous mutation.

AB - The fragile X syndrome is due to an expansion of the CGG trinucleotide repeat in the FMR1 gene and hypermethylation of its 5' upstream CpG island in about 95% of the cases. The remaining 5% of cases correspond to other molecular alterations in FMR1 gene such as partial or complete deletions, or point mutations within the coding sequence. We selected 31 patients with clinical manifestations of fragile X syndrome, scoring 16 or more in Hagerman's checklist, but without the CGG expansion. We performed single- strand conformation polymorphism analysis using a nonradioactive technique (silver staining) and we detected six anomalous migrations that, by sequence analysis, corresponded to six nucleotide changes. We screened two different populations (control and fragile X) for these changes, and concluded that they correspond to five new polymorphisms within the FMR1 gene and to one possible synonymous mutation.

KW - FMR1 gene

KW - Fragile X syndrome

KW - Mental retardation

KW - SSCP analysis

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=18744417343&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=18744417343&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19990528)84:3<262::AID-AJMG18>3.0.CO;2-V

DO - 10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19990528)84:3<262::AID-AJMG18>3.0.CO;2-V

M3 - Article

VL - 84

SP - 262

EP - 265

JO - American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A

JF - American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A

SN - 0148-7299

IS - 3

ER -